- Get Involved
- Join Our Team
- Employment Background Check
Employment Background Check
It is the intent of this policy to establish certain guidelines wherein the Valpo Department of Parks and Recreation can seek to protect our children by investigating the background (PDF) of potential employees.
Any person who has been found guilty, pled guilty; or pled no contest, regardless of adjudication, or has a pending charge pertaining to, any of the disqualifying offenses listed in this policy will be immediately disqualified.
Employees will have his/her background checked every 12 months for as long as he/she continues employment. The 3rd party contractor conducting the checks (Safe Hiring Solutions, Inc.) will administer the background screen. A pass grade will be for any applicant that has zero disqualifying crime matches, a fail grade for any applicant that has one or more disqualifying crime matches.
If the third party contractor reports any "fail" grades to the Parks and Recreation Department, the Department shall notify the applicant by certified mail and/or telephone that he is disqualified.
If an applicant wishes to dispute the content of the profile report, the applicant shall contact the third party responsible for conducting the background check by calling the telephone number listed on the report. The applicant is responsible for providing any or all documentation to support his or her claim.
If 1 has been convicted of, 2 has a charge pending against him or her in which it is alleged that he or she has committed any of the following crimes, 3 has a record of a conviction of an equivalent offense in another state, the applicant will be disqualified.
- All sex offenses: Examples include, but are not limited to: child molestation, rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, sodomy, prostitution, solicitation, indecent exposure, etc.
- All felony violence offenses: Examples include, but are not limited to: murder, manslaughter, aggravated assault, kidnapping, robbery, aggravated burglary, etc.
- All felony offenses other than violence or sex within the 10 years: Examples include, but are not limited to: drug offenses, theft, embezzlement, fraud, child endangerment, etc
- All misdemeanor violence offenses within the 7 years: Examples include, but are not limited to: simple assault, battery, domestic violence, hit and run, etc.
- Two or more misdemeanor alcohol offenses within the 5 years: Examples include, but are not limited to: driving under the influence, drunk and disorderly, public intoxication, etc.
- All Misdemeanor Drug offenses within the 5 years or multiple offenses in the 10 years: Examples include, but are not limited to: simple drug possession, possession of drug paraphernalia, etc.
- Any other misdemeanor within the 5 years that would be considered a potential danger to children or is directly related to the functions of that coach: Examples include, but are not limited to: contributing to the delinquency of a minor, providing alcohol to a minor, etc.
The link to complete your background check will be sent to you via email.