March 13, 2020 9:45 AM
COVID-19 Update 3/26/2020
Because the safety of our customers and staff is Valpo Parks highest priority, we are vigilantly monitoring the COVID-19 situation as it unfolds. We are taking additional steps with cleaning procedures at our facilities.
Quote from Police Chef Balon:
"The mayor and I are both concerned about reports of groups congregating in distances closer than six feet for recreation or socializing. While we understand the desire to connect, the governor’s order is clear: To protect our communities during the coronavirus pandemic, we must maintain social distances of six feet or greater. The Valparaiso Police Department is conducting extra patrols of parks and community spaces to educate people of the state-wide executive order and can issue citations for disregard of these orders. Citizens may report concerns to the Valparaiso Police Department for action." -- Valparaiso Police Chief Jeff Balon
• With Gov. Holcomb declaring a two-week Stay-At-Home Order through April 6 to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, we have updated our information on closings and cancellations:
· Parks and pathways remain open. Families will be able to go outside and take a walk, run or bike ride, but they should continue to practice social distancing by remaining 6 feet away from other people.
· Playgrounds are closed because they pose a high risk of increasing spreading the virus.
· Hard surface courts and fields are closed because they pose concerns regarding social distancing.
· The Park Office will be closed effective Wednesday, March 24 through Monday, April 6. For general inquires related to registrations or scheduling, email Jane Grennes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· All indoor and outdoor rentals are cancelled through May 9. COVID-19 related cancellations for indoor and outdoor rentals will be refunded in full, a house-hold credit issued, or fees can transfer to an open future date.
· All recreation classes are cancelled through May 9. Cancellations of future classes will be announced as decisions are made. Program participants will be refunded in full, or prorated, or a house-hold credit issued, depending upon the class.
· Banta Senior Center will be closed until further notice for members, public gatherings and rentals.
· Central Park Plaza Ice Rink is closed for the season along with Special Events being cancelled through May 9.
· Discovery Cottage Preschool follows the Valparaiso School Corporation’s schedule which means it is closed. The reopening of Discovery Cottage will be determined by the School Corporation.
· Kids Closet Sale on Saturday, April 18 has been cancelled. A reschedule date has not been determined.
· Day Trip to Holland Tulip Festival on Friday, May 8 has been cancelled.
· Creekside Golf Course and Training Center and Forest Park Golf Course are closed.
· Park restrooms will remain closed and any decisions on when the restrooms are opened will be made after considering all factors.
· William E. Urschel Pavilion restroom will be open from 8am - 10pm; 7 days a week
· Start dates for future events and programs will be announced as they become available.
If additional information on other City of Valparaiso government closures or changes, please visit the link below.