****UPDATE****While we were optimistic the Banta Center would reopen on November 2, an increased concern over COVID-19 will delay those plans indefinitely. We will continue to work with our partners to reevaluate the situation with the plan to reopen as soon as we feel it is safe for our members, employees and partners.
Valpo Parks will continue to communicate any further updates as they become available.
Banta is an enrichment center where adults aged 50 and older can participate in a variety of activities, hot meals, and a connection to education on community resources and make friends! To participate in the multiple opportunities this facility offers Seniors, you must be a member at the current rate of $4.00 per month paid annually or quarterly (prorated). We are always stretching and growing members and activities!
Banta Senior Center offers all the following by Volunteers who choose to help lead activities.
- Fitness Room with various conditioning machines and free weights
- Various Exercise: Pilates, Qi Gong, Reformers, Theraband, Exercise with DVD-Richard Simmons and more. Many with certified/qualified trainers
- Quiet corners to sit and read with coffee
- Sing-a-longs with piano accompaniments
- Line Dancing
- Sewing machines available to do mending or start quilting
- Painting Class
- Banta has a “Knit Wits” group who enjoy knitting and crocheting items that are donated to various organizations for children/families in need
- Retiree Group Meeting
- Aging Support Group
- Lunch & learns coming up to offer education on Senior resources
- The Banta Center is utilized as a site that offers Seniors Flu shots and a community Voting site
- The Center also rents the Multi-purpose room with kitchen and restroom access for family/group functions
Banta is a Northwest Indiana Community Action nutrition site that serves hot, nutritious lunches Monday - Friday at 11:15 a.m. Lunches are complimentary to anyone 60 and older, though a voluntary contribution of $1.50 is suggested. Reservations for the lunches must be made at least two business days ahead by calling 219-462-1301. You do not have to be a Banta Senior member to partake in the lunch program.