A year to reflect on memories, collaboration and engagement as a community!
The history of parks and playgrounds in Valpo began in 1918 when Frederick Kirchhoff donated his property on Roosevelt Road to the City of Valparaiso with the understanding that it will always be maintained a public park.
The next 25 years pasted with little discussion regarding the continued growth of parks in the community. It wasn’t until January of 1945 that a Board of Park Commissioners were appointed to manage and control the parks. Mayor Garrett D. Conover appointed Carl D. Rees, Mary S. Myers, Joseph C. Saunders and W.E. White to govern the newly formed department. From that point forward, the City of Valparaiso through the Valpo Parks Department added property that was converted to parks, developed programs for people of all ages and created events that brought the community together.
2020 marks the 75th anniversary of the Board of Park Commissioners, now known as the Valpo Parks Board. Celebrate 75 years as we recall the memories, collaboration and community engagement in Valparaiso. Cheers to 75 years!